Skip to main content
6:00 pm
the battle of bataan, 1942. [ all ] fort benning, georgia, in 1999. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve the military, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto-insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve. barrow island has got rare kangaroos.
6:01 pm
♪ chevron has been developing energy here for decades. we need to protect their environment. we have a strict quarantine system to protect the integrity of the environment. forty years on, it's still a class-a nature reserve. it's our job to look after them. ...it's my job to look after it. ♪
6:02 pm
that's it for this edition of "360." we'll see you one ow hour from now at 10:00 p.m. eastern. "piers morgan tonight" starts now. >> the blade runner's big day in court. will he be a free man tomorrow? >> he is not a violent person. he is a peace maker. >> how strong is the case against oscar pistorius? i'll ask the man. plus, an exclusive and emotional interview for someone who knew reeva steenkamp better than most. >> we spoke intimately about all parts of her life. >> what her cousin says about the woman gunned down by pistorius. >> i believe reeva's life and her death is not in vein. also, a debate about guns and women. >> so, jill, if there's ever a problem, put that double barrel shotgun and fired two blasts
6:03 pm
outside the house. >> where do you draw the line of self-defense? and american tragedy. a close friend of nancy lanza opens bup her life of guns and her son, seasoned hook killer adam lanza. this is piers morgan tonight. right now oscar pistorius is in a jail cell. today from the chaotic courtroom the defense slammed the government's case and what experts call a key victory for the blade runner who is accused of intentionally killing reeva steenkamp, his model girlfriend. in a moment i'll talk to reeva's cousin, who is as close to her as a sister. cnn's robin in johannesburg with the latest on this sensational murder case. this case is now gripping the whole world, and it really comes down, i guess, to whether you believe oscar pistorius, with what appears to be a conval outed, implausible version of
6:04 pm
events. yet, weighs saw today when the police chief was cross-examined, his version of events began to unravel too. where are we left here, do you think? >> when we were listening in court this morning and we were listening to the state's case, you know, we were all thinking, oh, you know, that's it. it doesn't sound so good for oscar, and then after lunch it just -- the sentiment just absolutely switched when you started hearing the defense literally pick apart the state's case, so it has been quite a roller coaster day in terms of just trying to form an opinion based on the kind of information that we've all been getting. i mean, and how -- how implausible is oscar's story? well, on paper many people found a lot of holes, a lot of questions about it, but in a sort of quite dramatic statement, the chief prosecutor who is investigating this case, the investigator who works for the police, actually said that he found no inconsistencies in oscar pistorius's version of
6:05 pm
events, so, you know, it seems like in a way he is buying it as well. >> some of the stuff that's been leaked to the media has turned out to not be what we thought, and that's been part of oscar pistorius's problem, i think, in a way people have interpreted what may have happened. let's start with some of the facts. we were told that he had been found with steroids. then when asked what these steroids were, he downgraded it to testosterone, and the defense kept going at him, and eventually they said, look, it was a herbal remedy, perfectly legal. not a banned substance. the police chief seemed to squirm. he didn't seem to know what the hell it was. sfwoo absolutely. i mean, it's a classic case. if you've got some crucial evidence, it's always good to perhaps double-check what it is, and it had a quite complicated pharmaceutical name on the box that started with testa-something, and the police chief just sort of assumed it was testosterone, but according
6:06 pm
to the defense, he said, you know, if you had just taken this to a pharmacy or chemist, they would have told you this was a heal medicine. now, whether or not it is, i mean, this substance is still being tested, but, you know, the defense seems pretty sure that oscar pistorius certainly wasn't doping. >> we know that there were other evidence today. the body of reeva steenkamp didn't show any signs of a struggle. her bladder was empty, consistent with pistorius's account that she had gone to use the toilet. we're going to find out tomorrow whether oscar pistorius will get bail, but for now thank you very much indeed. we'll talk again tomorrow. joining me from capetown is kim martin, reeva's cousin. she also lived with reeva and said they were as close as sisters. welcome to you, kim martin. first of all, i'll extend to you my deepest condolences on the loss of your cousin. it is a harrowing story for anyone to digest, but for you and her family and friends i can only imagine the torment you've been going through.
6:07 pm
what kind of woman was reeva? i know that she was a law school graduate. she was obviously very bright. she was a model. she was a tv actress. she was a multi-facetted career that she was building for herself, but what kind of woman was she? >> reeva was -- she was exceptional. i mean, you've heard in the media what an mazing person she was, but she really was. from a young age there was something magical about her. she had this kind, nurturing soul, and doesn't matter if you were 20 years older than her or 20 years younger than her, you always felt like she was mothering you and looking after you. i mean, she continuously gave me advice for life, and if i had questions or was unsure, she would be advising mow what to do, and she did the same thing for my young children. there was something really, really special about reeva.
6:08 pm
>> how did you hear that she had died? >> that's very hard. my husband and i were driving to work in rush hour. we were stuck in traffic. i was tired. i hadn't slept much the night before, and i remember i was lying back on the car seat. i had rolled it down, and the -- we were listening to the radio, and the dj came on and said he had breaking news, and he was taking long to get to the story. he was saying we can't confirm it, it's just come in, and they were going on and on, and i remember my husband said, oh, come on, well, what is it? spit it out. then the next moment i heard oscar pistorius, and i just jumped up, and i was, like, what the hell could be wrong with him? the next minute they say his girlfriend, and that was not --
6:09 pm
the last thing i expected. the thought to me to this day is surreal. we turned around in this bumper to bumper traffic. we couldn't even get out. we turned around. we drove, and i just remember thinking the whole time that there's no way. this is not -- somebody is playing a joke, and they're going to -- the radio guy is going to come on and say that this is a big joke, and i just remember that we drove straight to my mother, and she opened the door, she was crying, and i realized, no, this is real. it's -- it's real, but it's not real. you know? yeah, reeva is not supposed to be dead. reeva had her whole life ahead of her. she was going to be doing great things. >> yesterday reeva was laid to rest with her family and friends gathered in port elizabeth for a private funeral. it must have been incredibly emotional there. how would you sum up the atmosphere given the appalling
6:10 pm
circumstances of her death? >> it was terrible. it was heart breaking. you know, you have to remind yourself the whole time that you were there because of reeva. you know, you wanted to -- i kept going in and out of forgetting that i was there for reeva, and you look up, and then you look around, and you see your uncle sitting there, and you look up and you see the photo of reeva, and then it was unbelievable. it really was. how do you -- how do you feel on a day like that? >> when did reeva tell you that she was dating oscar pistorius? >> i saw it in the news first, and that was about two months ago. when it first came out there was rumors. she attended the one function with him. i remember i sent her a message, and i said is it true, cuz? at the time she said no, but he
6:11 pm
is a very nice guy, and that's basically it. she never really spoke much to me about him other than that. >> do the family feel angry towards oscar pistorius? how would you describe the family reaction to him? >> um, i think the family are devastated. they are heartbroken. i think it's going to take a long time to even sink in what has happened. i just think they want reeva back. that's it. you know? they're not concentrating on how it happened. at the moment everybody is just in shock that reeva is not going to be back tomorrow. >> did any of the family express to you when you caught up with them or since reeva's death that they had any concerns prior to what happened about her relationship with oscar
6:12 pm
pistorius, any suggestion that it was a volatile relationship or anything about all of that? >>. >> she died so horrifically. >> what happened to reeva, and that you would understand why i'm telling you this because we can't understand that anybody could want to hurt her.
6:13 pm
where anyone would deliberately harm her, as you say. people are saying that oscar pistorius's events are conval outed and implausible. there is an argument that it makes much more sense that oscar pistorius may have mistaken reeva for an intruder. however crazy that may sound. and that he was reacting to somebody he thought was invading his home. do you or do the family think that is a possibility? >> you know something, piers, that is what in my heart i hope and wish is the truth because i would not like to think that my cousin suffered. i don't want to think that she was scared or frightened or that she was fearful for her life. i don't want to think that. i just -- that is my wish that
6:14 pm
that is the truth, but at the end of the day we'll find out the truth, and i believe reeva's life and her death is not in vein. >> finally, how would you like reeva to be remembered? >> hmm. for her sense of humor, for her kindness, her magical presence. when she walked into a room, she made you feel special. she had this glow about her, and she was going to save the world. she loved everybody, and everybody loved her. you know, people were drawn to her beauty, but then her sense of humor would grab you, and her kindness and, you know, she became that beautiful, approachable girl next door that you could joke with, you know, and you were so proud of her.
6:15 pm
she never ever ever let her beauty interfere with anything she did. she never let it go to her head. >> kim, i'm, again, so sorry that this has happened to you and your family. it's heart breaking, to be honest with you, listening to you, and i share your view. i hope it turns out to have been a terrible accident, and at least that would be something i think that would be more bearable than the alternative, which is that she was mured in cold blood and i'm sure that we will find that out when it comes to a trial, but i really appreciate you joining me tonight. >> thank you very much. thank you for having me. >> when we come back, i'll talk to legal experts anna and vin ni pole. that's after the break.
6:16 pm
at university of phoenix we know the value of your education is where it can take you. (subway announcer; "now arriving at city hospital") which is why we're proud to help connect our students with leading employers across the nation. (subway announcer: "next stop financial center") let's get to work.
6:17 pm
6:18 pm
>> is not a violent person. he is a peace maker. he has always been a peace maker, and that's his nature. he looks tough, and he looked like the superstar and held himself in public domain, but he
6:19 pm
is actually a very, very kind, soft person. >> defending the blade runner accused of murder. that the uncle of oscar pistorius. prosecutors call it murder. the defense maintains pistorius thought he was shooting at an intruder. tom foreman goes inside the home for an exclusive look at both theories. >> you have to consider the layout of this apartment to understand the competing views of what happened here. this is oscar pistorius's view. he says he and his girlfriend were in bed when he got up in the middle of the morning, the early hours of darkness there, and went out to the balance donny to close a window and bring in a fan. unbeknownst to him, she got up and went into the rest room. when he came back into the dark room, he says he heard a noise over here and feared a break-in. so he grabbed his pistol, he ran on into the bathroom here, began yelling out for the intruder to leave and to warn his girlfriend back in bed. then shot through the door. only after he came back and
6:20 pm
realized she was gone did he think, no, i must have shot her. he ran and grabbed a cricket bat to smash down the door and start yelling for help and to bring her back. that is his version of events. now think about where the evidence was. think about the layout of this apartment. listen to the prosecution's version because it is different. they're saying that essentially the evidence from neighbors hearing a fight and everything else as the prosecution would put it, suggests there was some kind of ongoing dispute for quite some period of time at which point she went into the rest room and locked herself in. he came around and used a cricket bat to either smash the door down to get at her or whatever the case may be, and ultimately pulled out his pistol and shot through the door in an attempt to kill her. that is essentially the difference between the two stories. there are a lot of details involved, but the bottom line, when you look at the evidence and the layout of the room, the prosecution says there's nothing in their version that directly
6:21 pm
contraverts pistorius's version. that's going to be the huge challenge as this goes to trial. >> tom, thank you very much. joining me now is attorney adam der dershowditz, and former prosecutor vinnie politan. i feel like the family of reeva. i watched her brother being interviewed tonight. i was here interviewing her cousin. my view has swayed and fluctuated over the last week. i interviewed oscar pistorius about two months ago. i find it almost impossible to believe that he could have premeditatedly planned and carried out the murder of this apparently intelligent, decent, nice woman from an intelligent, decent nice family. where are you with this? >> well, obviously i don't know. until the forensic evidence comes in, i'm going to maintain
6:22 pm
an open mind, but i'll tell you what the question is not legally. the question legally is not what's the most likely explanation of this. if that were the question, we could have competing views, and we could say the most likely explanation is probably metro the government's, that is a carefully premeditated plot, nor the defendant's complete accident based on mistaken belief that she was in bed. maybe something in the middle. something impulsive, something unplanned. the prosecution may have overcharged. the defense may be overdefending. the thing that gives me some level of confidence that he may well be innocent is he has a very good lawyer, and his lawyer did something that no reasonable lawyer would ever do unless he was absolutely certain of his client's innocence. put his story in an affidavit because if there's anything in that affidavit that is contradicted by one single bit of forensic evidence, the case is over. so this lawyer, to get his client out on bail, which he might very well do, put his case
6:23 pm
forward in writing, and that's an extraordinarily risk where i tack, but it may pay off. >> okay. vinnie, you think pistorius is guilty of murder. what evidently have you seen which can be backed up by any apparent fact which actually says he did murder her? >> well, let me start with the affidavit, and this is like a little inside dirty secret in the legal profession. what is an affidavit? what it is is a carefully crafted document written by an attorney, and if this is the best they can do in their version of what happened, it's virtually laughable when you break it down what he says actually happened here. it's preposterous the whole scenario, so let's break it down to just commonsense. what do we know? he had a gun. we know she was shot to death. we know he did it. they admit that he shot her to death.
6:24 pm
premeditation, how much of a plan do you have to prove? premeditation can happen like this. from the time he grabs a gun to the time you decide to shoot and kill someone. it doesn't have to be a grandiose plot. it can happen a lot quicker. when you look at what he allege in this affidavit, which, remember, his attorney, his great attorney that he has, wrote all of this, and then he swore to it. if that's the best they can do, really? pierce, really? >> well, i mean let me come back to adam. when i read that affidavit, i thought, however implausible, it may seem to the outside world, to me my gut feeling -- and i might be completely wrong about this, but having interviewed him and gotten to know him a little bit, of the two versions of the state's version that somehow he premeditatedly murdered her or his rather elaborate version based on a fear, which we knew he had of being invaded in his
6:25 pm
home, that's why he had the guns there. if you accept that he had that genuine paranoia, then how far-fetched is it that he woke up in the middle of the night, that he heard somebody in the bathroom, and that, you know, he was not on his blades, he was on his stumps we now know walking on the stumps m middle of pitch black and that he panics and he shoots? i mean, is it completely -- >> was it dark enough for him not to be able to find the gun? he found the gun in the pitch dark. how could he not see his girlfriend in the pitch dark? that's what i don't understand. >> well, let me go to adam. i'll ask you again, how far-fetched is this, adam, from a legal perspective? >> well, the issue is not, again, what's the more likely explanation? the issue is whether or not he put forward an explanation that at least raises a reasonable doubt about the premeditated murder charge, and there's going to be a lot that will have to be
6:26 pm
validated. the angle from which the guns were shot is going to be very -- the gun was shot is going to be very, very important because you say he was wearing his prosthetics. we don't know that for sure. we don't know -- >> i think we were told -- no, i think correct that. we've been told that he wasn't on the prosthetics. in his affidavit, he says that he was actually without them. the significance -- >> that's his claim. >> the government case is that the bullets were fired from an angle which would imply he was wearing them. >> but there's no videotape, and the judge -- remember, there's no jury here. there are judges. let me tell you about the judges in south africa. i know the judges in south africa. it's a very politically correct judiciary. it's not one of the finest judiciaries in the world. this is a post manufacture mandela judiciary filled with people from the anc and supporters of the anc. this is a judiciary that will be very different from american
6:27 pm
juries, and they may very well be sympathetic to this defendant, and the issue for them is going to be not is his story more plausible than the prosecution's story, but is there any conceivable plausibility to it that is not undercut by the forensic evidence. if there is forensic evidence that undercuts the affidavit, then his lawyer made a terrible mistake, and sometimes clients put pressure on the lawyers saying, look, i want to get out on bail, i don't care what happens later? i want to get out on bail. this affidavit may have done that, and his brilliant cross-examination of the policemen both may have done that, but the long-term implication if there are any inconsistencies between what he said m forensic evidence may sink him. >> vinnie, very quickly, finally, just tell me the one thing that you have heard which you believe points to his guilt as a cold-blooded murderer?
6:28 pm
>> we know that he shot and killed her. his explanation unreasonable. >> but there are people all over america watching this who will say that that's the purpose of having the firearm at your home. you know? americans' second amendment right to defend himself. >> he is going to put south africa on trail. he is going to say that if you knew how dangerous it was there and how many break-ins there were and me without legs to run away there but for the grace of god go you. put yourself in your situation. i panic. i was scared. i made a mistake. i'm sorry, but i didn't intend to kill her. that may very well -- >> i have to leave it there. the mere fact that two legal minds are so split about this is exactly how i think many, many people feel around the world. >> elts a fascinating case, and i think it will all come down to
6:29 pm
new evidence and facts when we see them. thank you for both. thank you very much, indeed. >> coming up next, the life of sandy hook killer adam lanza and his mother, nancy. my emotional candid interview with nancy's good friend. great, everybody made it.
6:30 pm
we all work remotely so this is a big deal, our first full team gathering! i wanted to call on a few people. ashley, ashley marshall... here. since we're often all on the move, ashley suggested we use fedex office to hold packages for us. great job. [ applause ] thank you. and on a protocol note, i'd like to talk to tim hill about his tendency to use all caps in emails. [ shouting ] oh i'm sorry guys.
6:31 pm
ah sometimes the caps lock gets stuck on my keyboard. hey do you wanna get a drink later? [ male announcer ] hold packages at any fedex office location. email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business. it's just one of the ways constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try.
6:32 pm
redesigned site has this new score planner tool with these cool sliders. this one lets us know what happens if we miss a payment. oh. this one lets us know what happens if we use less credit. yeah. what's this one do? i dunno. glad nothing weird happened. right? score planner is free to everyone. free score applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com guacamole slider still in beta.
6:33 pm
two months after the sandy hook massacre, and we still don't know why adam lanza did what he did. we don't know about the life he shared with his mother, nancy lanza. tonight we get many answers in a vealing and surprising. joining me is nancy's good friend, john. welcome to you, mr. boquist. where were you when you hear the news about what adam lanza did at sandy hook school? >> i was at work. i heard the -- the, you know -- the ongoing coverage all day long, but i was at work when i found out about adam lanza and, sadly, my friend, nancy, who i knew then who was no longer with us. >> what was your reaction? did you know adam lanz wra? we're getting a picture of somebody who was pretty disturbed whose mother was
6:34 pm
struggling to deal with really. was that your impression? >> i just -- you know, i knew she loved her son. she was devoted to him, and certainly that he was capable of doing anything like this was an absolute shock. i never would have believed it, and i believe that. she had no idea that something like this would have been possible. >> you knew her well. what kind of woman was nancy lanza? >> she was a wonderful friend. i looked forward to seeing her at the restaurant, and, you know, her smile lit up the room. she was a great friend to me. she was a terrific mother. she was a good person. she was involved in charity work at the women's shelter, and she made regular donations to the
6:35 pm
food bank -- monthly donations to the food bank. >> the obvious question, i suppose, is where would somebody like nancy lanza given everything you have just said, why would she feel the need to have so many guns and high-powered weapons in her house? we believe at least five, including this bushmaster ar-15 rifle. why would she feel the need for all that? >> i don't know that it was she felt she needed them. it was one of her hobbies. it certainly wasn't her main hobby. she enjoyed shooting, and it was a sport that she did share with her two boys, and it's just an activity she enjoyed. she certainly -- one thing i would like to add is she was described as some sort of gun nut or survivalist, and that simply, you know -- it wasn't the case. it was a hobby. it wasn't her main one, but it
6:36 pm
was something that she enjoyed. >> if you have a son like adam lanza, as she did, who we know had serious problems interacting socially with almost anybody else. he spent huge amounts of time in his basement room playing violent video games. why would she take somebody like that to gun ranges and encourage him to use guns and what does that tell you, i guess, about the problems with dealing with mental health perhaps in relation to gun violence? >> well, as far as nancy goes, she was -- you know, she was trained in how to use a gun and in proper gun safety, and that's something she also instilled in her children. you know, as far as her son being violent, she never had any indication of that. she certainly at least never
6:37 pm
said that to me. you know, she never had any indication of violence. she never feared him. at the time it seemed like a perfectly -- i'm sure to her it seemed like a perfectly reasonable activity to do in retrospect, you know, he clearly had other plans. >> do you know if she was actively trying to get him my kind of treatment because there are conflicting reports about that? >> i had heard this as well that she was trying to get consocial securi securityconservatorship over him. i don't know. she never spoke of that to me. >> it's a sad story for so many people, and i feel sorry for you that you lost a friend. it wasn't nancy lanza that committed this atrocity. it was her son. he is also dead. 26 other people were killed.
6:38 pm
it's an awful, awful story. i'm grateful to you, john, for joining me tonight and sharing some of your memories of nancy. thank you. >> thank you so much, piers. >> coming up next, vice president biden tells woman to get shotguns for self-defense. is he right? stay top of mind with customers?
6:39 pm
from deals that bring them in with an offer... to social media promotions that turn fans into customers... to events that engage and create buzz... to e-mails that keep loyal customers coming back, our easy-to-use tools will keep you in front of your customers. see what's right for you at constantcontact.com/try. i wish my patients could see what i see. ♪ that over time, having high cholesterol and any of these risk factors can put them at increased risk for plaque buildup in their arteries. so it's even more important to lower their cholesterol, and that's why, when diet and exercise alone aren't enough, i prescribe crestor. in a clinical trial versus lipitor, crestor got more high-risk patients' bad cholesterol to a goal of under 100. [ female announcer ] crestor is not right for everyone.
6:40 pm
like people with liver disease or women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. tell your doctor about other medicines you're taking. call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain or weakness, feel unusually tired, have loss of appetite, upper belly pain, dark urine or yellowing of skin or eyes. these could be signs of rare but serious side effects. ♪ is your cholesterol at goal? talk to your doctor about crestor. [ female announcer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. this is what it's like... paying full price for a hotel room. and this is what it's like getting a high-end hotel room for 45% off published prices... ... with travelocity's top secret hotels. ooo, tingly.
6:41 pm
6:42 pm
>> if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. i promise you whoever is coming in is not going to -- you don't need an ar-15. it's harder to aim. it's harder to use. and, in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. >> these are words of the vice president telling his wife to use a shotgun to scare away intruders. we ask paxton quigley, author of "armed and female." and sandy phillips, the mother of jessica, who was killed in the aurora shooting. let me start with you. what was your reaction to what vice president biden had to say? >> well, i was rather shocked
6:43 pm
that he said such a thing because basically i've taught about 7,000 women how to shoot, and they prefer to use a handgun, and so do i because most women are really afraid about being home alone at night, sound asleep when someone breaks into the house and they're not ready to get a shotgun underneath their bed. they would like to have a smaller gun and be prepared to defend themselves. >> a particular point he was making by way of comparison was why would anyone need an ar-15, which was, of course, the weapon used at aurora and, again, at sandy hook, and, indeed, in most of the mass shootings in america. what would your response be to that? >> well, i agree with him that i think an ar-15 is not something that the normal, average citizen should have, and, indeed, he is right that if you had a shotgun and you pull the trigger, it's going to -- it's going to scare somebody. there's no doubt about that.
6:44 pm
>> sandy phillips, you're in a better position than most because of the appalling tragedy of losing your daughter at aurora. when you heard joe biden say what he said, what would you think of it? >> well, as you know, i am a gun owner, and i do own a shotgun, and i have to say that i agree with him. just the sound of a shotgun can deter a lot from happening to you. that's not the answer. it's important to have auerbach ground checks that we're pushing so hard for, so that the wrong people can't get access to the guns. i kind of agree with him? that's a great weapon to own. >> part of the problem i have is, a, there's a massive increase of the number of women buyering firearms. secondly, the way manufacturers are marketing them, i think, is
6:45 pm
basically uncomfortable. they're making them very commercially desirable, almost like a fashion accessory, and paxton, you know, i want to play your little clip here. this is a woman describing a special ladies holster. >> the one that i have right here is actually meant to put into your bra. >> this one goz your bra? >> this goes into your bra, so it fits underneath and hides right into your cup, and that is the flash bang. >> cnn's ed -- the flash bang, it goes in your bra and so on. this reminds me of an interview i did with a texas gun store owner who said to me that, you know, female teachers should have guns holsters in their bras too, and i find this whole kind of arguing really offensive, but paxton, what do you say to him? are you content that more and more women buy weapons through this kind of direct marketing that the next chanel handbag is
6:46 pm
this. >> no. as a matter of fact, that's not what happens. in most cases i would say that women go to a gun store and even before they go to a gun store they first learn how to shoot and they're not shooting pink guns, and they're not putting their guns in between their breasts. most of them, if they're carry, will be carrying in a purse and usually a special purse, or they might be carrying in their pockets. i think that it's overblown that women are going in this crazy direction, and i don't think is really true. i think they're marketing that way, but i don't think women are following in that way. >> well, i'm not convinced by that because the amount of ownership is rocketing with women in particular in america, and here's what i was always saying is this. is that the new england journal of medicine study found that female gun owners were twice as likely to be killed by a gun because women purchase handguns
6:47 pm
for protection against violence from an intimate partner and those guns are then used by the partners against them. it could be that by the mere fact that arming themselves in an apparent self-defense purpose they are increasing the risk of being shot. >> in most cases it's the man that has the gun rather than the women owning the gun. most of the women who are buying guns today are living alone. you see, the whole culture has changed right now. they're more and more women who are living alone or are heads of households or are traveling or have jobs in which they're traveling late at night. there are a lot of nurses, for example, who have guns, so just because there's a gun in the household doesn't mean that it's necessarily also a woman's gun. it could be the man's gun. there's a lot of statistics out there about the abuse of men
6:48 pm
against women rather than women against men. for example, you never hear about -- >> you never hear about women massacring hoards of people, do you? never. >> no. there's a point -- the point that i was making -- >> only men. >> i think you misheard me. i was saying there's a higher likelihood of a man shooting a woman who has acquired a gun and put it at home to defend herself from a violent partner. that that's the statistic which alarms me. final word to you, if i may, sandy. again, the solution to everything appears to be more guns. that more women should be armed, teachers, nurses, and so on and so on. i just don't agree with this. what do you say to people that believe that is the only solution? >> i don't agree that's the answer either, piers. seven months ago i lost my daughter in that theater along with other people that are great people that should still be here, and as you know, the young
6:49 pm
man that was with my daughter has a consealed carry weapon here in texas. of course, he didn't have it with him in colorado, and one of my first questions to him was if you had that gun, would you have been able to have helped, and he said no. it would have caused more chaos and more people would have been killed. more guns is not the answer. it's just simply not the answer. we need to be sure that we're getting these background checks. we need to be sure that we're getting laws in place to stop the loopholes so that people can't get their hands on the guns when they're not responsible gun owners. >> i agree with that. sandy, i have to cut you off, sadly. i'm sure we'll talk to you again. you always are a terrific guest on the show, and you speak eloquently, and i know why. thank you, too, paxton as well. i do appreciate it. thank you. >> thank you. we'll be right back. ing. let's bing it on. [fight bell: ding, ding] how many here are google users? what if i was to tell you that you would actually like bing way more than google when it came to the results?
6:50 pm
prove it. let's look up some taco places. i like the left side. yeah? okay, do we need to find out what the waves are like down at the beach? what side do you like better? i like the results on the right. i'm gonna go with the one on the left. oh! bing won! people prefer bing over google for the web's top searches. don't believe it? go to bingiton.com and see what you're missing. did you just turn your ringer off so no one would interrupt and.us?one. oh no, i... just used my geico app to get a tow truck. it's gonna be 30 minutes. oh, so that means that we won't be stuck up here, for hours, with nothing to do. oh i get it, you wanna pass the time, huh. (holds up phone) fruit ninja!!! emergency roadside assistance. just a click away with the geico mobile app. a hybrid? most are just no fun to drive. now, here's one that will make you feel alive. meet the five-passenger ford c-max hybrid.
6:51 pm
c-max says ha. c-max says wheeee. which is what you get, don't you see? cause c-max has lots more horsepower than prius v, a hybrid that c-max also bests in mpg. say hi to the all-new 47 combined mpg c-max hybrid. i took something for my sinuses, but i still have this cough. [ male announcer ] a lot of sinus products don't treat cough. they don't? [ male announcer ] nope, but alka seltzer plus severe sinus does it treats your worst sinus symptoms, plus that annoying cough. [ breathes deeply ] ♪ oh, what a relief it is! [ angry gibberish ]
6:52 pm
to get our adt security system. and one really big reason -- the house next door. our neighbor's house was broken into. luckily, her family wasn't there, but what if this happened here? what if our girls were home? and since we can't monitor everything 24/7, we got someone who could. adt. [ male announcer ] while some companies are new to home security, adt has been helping to save lives for over 135 years. we have more monitoring centers, more of tomorrow's technology right here today, and more value. 24/7 monitoring against burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide starting at just over $1 a day. and now get adt installed for just $99. isn't your family worth america's number-one security company, adt? our girls got us thinking, but the break-in got us calling. and after buying two of everything, it was nice to only need one security system -- adt. [ male announcer ] get adt installed for just $99. and ask about adt pulse,
6:53 pm
advanced home management here today. adt. always there. . i hope i'm not dropping by too late. >> i already heard. somebody from the state attorney's office called. we both have our contacts
6:54 pm
apparently. jr, i don't know what you did and i don't want to know, but i am very grateful. >> darling, if i can still throw my weight around this town after all the crap i've pulled, then you'll bounce back just fine. >> and that's all you're getting. >> that's the gal i know. >> a tender moment between j.r. and sue ellen from "dallas." we sat down with larry who passed away sadly last year at the age of 81. joining me now are two of his closest and dearest friends, patrick duffy and linda gray. welcome back to you both. i've got to say, i feel very tinged with sadness having you back on without a larry. it was such a special day for me when all three of you were here last time. to lose him a few months later, but having from understood from
6:55 pm
you how close you all were, patrick, how has it been dealing with his loss? >> it's -- it's a mixed sort of bag of feelings because, you know, the three of us were the best of friends and the good news about that is, nothing was left unsaid between the three of us. we were with larry literally right until a couple of hours before he passed. so there's none of the, wish i could have said or wish i could have made him understand this. but it's the day to day experience of being able to be in his presence that leaves an empty spot that you can't fill up. you wish he was there. he was so much fun. he was the biggest person i know in terms of being able to include everyone in his life. those are the moments that will never come back and so i have to rely on the memories but the memories make me smile. >> linda, i want to play you a clip from our last interview and then come you to after this. >> i wouldn't be doing it without them. >> no. >> somebody approached me, would
6:56 pm
you like to do the show and i said, are my friends going to be on the show? and they said sure. and i said let's see a script. we talked about the script and we liked it very much. >> how do you feel, linda, when you see him talking like that? you knew him 30 years and was so, i guess, just completely positioned with him careerwise for so long because of that fabulous role that you had object sit of him. how do you feel when you hear him talking? >> well, it's that wonderful bittersweet. i can hear him talking all the time. his presence is everywhere, piers. like patrick said, he's just part of us. he's part of the thread of our lives. we began together. we were known as the three musketeer. when cynthia and mike robin passed us, they called us the big three. so it's always been that dear constant friendship connection and he's always with us. he's always in our hearts and his humor. i just laugh about the things
6:57 pm
that we did together. it's like he's not hear physically but he's always with us. so that's the joy of having larry hagman as a friend for 35 years. >> patrick, you were all there with him right until the end and i heard that even right to the end he was cracking jokes and still the hilarious larry hagman that we knew him to be. tell me about those last few days because it sounded although obviously tragic that he was dying, at the same time, he had everyone that he loved and cared about around him. >> yes. and when he was still conscious and able to have a conversation with us, it was life as normal even though i think he knew even more than we did that it was a matter of days. but he was talking about what the future was going to be. that he was going to get this car and take it to los angeles but then the other side he would say, i don't have very long. we would say, oh, yes, you do. and he would say, i'm okay.
6:58 pm
i took a lot of mushrooms in the '60s. he said, i've been to the other side. it's all good. he actually meant it. he really did feel that he was okay with that because it was not going to be that much different from what he was experiencing at the moment. but it's very interesting to see and hear clips of him because it reaffirms that, yeah, my memory is right. that's exactly how i remember him. that's how i remember his voice and it's the same reason i don't delete his voice mails out of my telephone now that are always going to be there. because i just can't -- i always want to be able to refer back to that and go, yep, that's the voice. that's my friend. >> yeah, i completely understand that. lovely to talk to both of you again. >> thank you, piers. >> bye. >> and we'll be right back. this day calls you.
6:59 pm
to fight chronic osteoarthritis pain. to fight chronic low back pain. to take action. to take the next step. today, you will know you did something for your pain. cymbalta can help. cymbalta is a pain reliever fda-approved to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain. one non-narcotic pill a day, every day, can help reduce this pain. tell your doctor right away if your mood worsens, you have unusual changes in mood or behavior or thoughts of suicide. anti-depressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. cymbalta is not for children under 18. people taking maois, linezolid or thioridazine or with uncontrolled glaucoma should not take cymbalta. taking it with nsaid pain relievers, aspirin, or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk. severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported. signs include abdominal pain and yellowing skin or eyes.

tv
Piers Morgan Tonight
CNN February 20, 2013 6:00pm-7:00pm PST

News/Business. (2013) New.

TOPIC FREQUENCY Us 12, Oscar Pistorius 10, Reeva 8, Adam Lanza 6, Nancy Lanza 4, America 4, Piers 4, Reeva Steenkamp 3, Usaa 3, Adam 3, Google 3, Let Me 2, Adt 2, John 2, Pistorius 2, Kim Martin 2, Bing 2, Sandy Phillips 2, Biden 2, Cnn 2
Network CNN
Duration 01:00:00
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 2/21/2013
Views
76